It seems like air conditioners have a tendency to quit working when they’re needed most. This is usually during the summer when the units have been working hard to keep your home cool. There are five critical things you should do while waiting for AC repair service. The most important thing is to keep calm.
Your AC system may be short-cycling, turning on and off when it should stay on continuously. This is a common malfunction that requires repairs from a trained technician. However, there are other things you can safely check or do while waiting for an AC repair.
1. Check your electrical circuit breaker box. Make sure the circuits are not overloaded and that you do not have any short circuits. The problem may be electrical rather than with the air conditioning unit. Circuit problems should be repaired by a trained electrician.
2. If the problem is not with the circuit, turn on ceiling fans or plug-in electric fans to keep air circulation in your home. This will help keep your home more tolerable while you wait. If you’re still too hot, try wrapping a wet bandana or cloth around your neck.
3. Check the air filers in the air conditioning system. This is easy and safe. Air filters should be changed every few months since they collect dust, pollen and other airborne particles. Your AC repair service will check the air filters and clean the grill if necessary as part of the inspection process for repairs.
4. Check the thermostat. It may have been reset by mistake. Try to set it at the preferred temperature. It may reactivate the air conditioner’s compressor. This could be a simple problem or the thermostat may need to be replaced. The problem may also be an electrical connection within the thermostat.
5. Check the area around the outside unit. Sometimes things are laid against or stacked near the unit. Make sure each unit has a good one foot margin – free of any debris, including weeds.
Your AC system may be leaking refrigerant. This can create ice along the coils or problems with the evaporation process. Leaks must be repaired by professional technicians and the coolant replaced and recharged.
Humidifiers must also be checked. They work in tandem with your HVAC system and they can cause problems with the air conditioner.
Dust, dirt and grime from winds and blowing sand often clog air ducts in the Valley of the Sun. Routine scheduled maintenance will help to keep your HVAC system running smoothly at all times.